Friday 3 May 2013

Jane's Walk - Hintonburg

Category; Heritage To start with, I am going to post some pictures of buildings here and there in the Hintonburg area of Ottawa. I am interested in Ottawa's urban heritage, especially in the Hintonburg and Lebreton Flats area where my grandparents and parents worked and lived at one time.

I now live in the Britannia area, it's got it's own history and since I am nearby, I hope to do some west Ottawa posts as well. Mostly just interesting finds.

Here are a few images to start, taken while on a Jane's walk a few years back in the Hintonburg and Wellington West area. The white balance on my camera was set wrong, but there is an interesting effect as a result.


The Stirling hotel, once a  biker hangout now a reclaimed residential apartment in what is a neighbourhood in transition.
 

The Carleton tavern, it doesn't look like it's changed much over the years, it's in a class of it's own and is one of a few remaining original taverns that used to dot Ottawa (can you name them all).



On Wellington West, just opposite the new Bridgehead a spa now exists where this former shoe repair and sales shop once existed, and before that, a drug store that my mother remembers when my grandfather used to run (McCarthy) a furniture store across the street and around the corner from the police station. The furniture here was from the original drug store.



Just that 1950s look and feel to some of the modernization that occurred in the neighbourhood.  Lots of new shops and restaurants have made this area home, yoga studios, art galleries, curios, bike and fitness stores.  Yet the street maintains an edge that gives it an appealing diversity you won't find elsewhere.

 
Some of the WWII era buildings that still exist just around the corner from the Carleton and the old Sperry Gyroscope building on Parkdale (does this building still exist).
 

  Apparently, Elvis likes it in Hintonburg also.


I don't have much information on this building, if I remember correctly it was a location that expecting unwed mothers could go in the early part of the 20th century. It just has haunted written all over it.  It is now for sale, correction, I just saw a sign saying SOLD.  But to whom?



The Elmdale, another classic tavern that I visited in the 1980s briefly when it was still frequented largely by those who get around town on Harleys.  Now it is a hipster music venue, but the original bar fixtures and the original wooden beer lockers are worth seeing.


 Former wire factory, now a series of offices.



No comments:

Post a Comment